Elizabethtown Area Communities That Care’s (EACTC) Youth Coalition is another way to get involved in prevention efforts here in Elizabethtown. It’s important to have youth voices be heard on youth issues, like fighting substance abuse. The Youth Coalition is a group of youth interested in becoming part of the activities and solutions the larger EACTC coalition is exploring. They come together on a regular basis to talk about what challenges community youth are facing, think creatively about ways to address those challenges, put ideas into action and share knowledge and ideas with the larger coalition. The Youth Coalition meets in the afternoon or evenings with adult advisors who help talk about concerns, brainstorm and plan activities and ways to address the issues, and help determine how to best carry those plans out. Some of the things done so far:
- Conducted environmental scans to help determine unsafe areas in the community
- Talked to the larger coalition and community members about youth drug and alcohol use
- Participated in the state SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) Conference
- Participated in and engaged families in educational activities at community events
- Planned a number of alternative recreational activities for youth in the community such as pool parties and dance classes
Youth Coalition members have a variety of opportunities to work on leadership skills through local and state training activities. Of course, the Youth Coalition cannot do all these things without the help of caring adults who share personal experiences and help guide us through the activities, the planning and the learning process.
Come join us!
For more information contact Elizabethtown Communities That Care at 367-0678